The second the news starts warning Palm Beach County about a possible hurricane we all run to the store and stock up on all the canned goods we can get our hands on. That is what happened this past month. My pantry was finally full. After the hurricane passed and thankfully didn’t hit us, I didn’t want to step foot in the store until I used some of the items in my pantry. That is where this soup came from. It is a basic pasta e fagioli soup and it was delicious! This isn’t just a soup for after the hurricane passes, this is a soup you can make once a week for dinner.
- one onion, diced
- one clove of garlic, minced
- 2 cans of white Northern beans, or any you have in your pantry
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes
- small can (8 oz.) of tomato sauce
- 64 Oz. (8 cups) of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 – 3 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 pound of pasta(I prefer a smaller pasta like ditalini, but again you can use anything you have in your pantry)
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated cheese
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute the onion until tender.
- Add the garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except the pasta and grated cheese.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook per directions on the box.
- Serve in individual soup bowls and top with grated cheese.