I hope everyone enjoyed their summer as much as we did. We got a lot of relaxing and family time in to make up for all the craziness that goes on when school is in session. In a couple of weeks it will be back to reality for those of us in Palm Beach County! In a way it is nice to get back to a schedule, but I will really miss waking up late and not rushing around all afternoon. Once school is back in session it is hard to stay connected since everyone is so busy. In our house we stay connected by having dinner together every night. Even if it is for just a half hour, it is worth it. If it is hard for your family to have dinner together every night during the week, try for at least once a week.
Sunday is a great day for that. It is a special day of rest and relaxation in our house. I usually make a big pot of sauce in the morning. The smell of the sauce cooking all day somehow keeps everyone together and looking forward to dinner. This recipe is for a simple marinara sauce. Sometimes I add onion, red wine, meat, roasted eggplant, etc… No matter what it will be perfect.
- • EVOO
- • garlic (12 cloves chopped)
- • a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- • 3 cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- • 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- • 3 heaping spoonfuls of grated pocorino romano cheese
- • A handful of fresh chopped Italian parsley(or basil or both!)
- 1. In a large sauce pan, saute garlic and crushed red pepper flakes in EVOO.
- 2. Add 3 cans of whole peeled tomatoes. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Keep it on a simmer so it doesn't burn.
- 3. Add the black pepper.
- 4. Stir in the grated cheese.
- 5. Add the parsley/basil.
- 6. Simmer for at least 20 minutes. Pair with your favorite pasta.