As far as “seasons” go in South Florida, I tend to breakdown it down like this:
“Winter” – December to Spring Break: Play outside – EV-ER-Y-DAY!!! This is the nicest weather you’ll have all year, so take advantage of it.
“Spring” – April – June: Hit the beach!
“Summer” – July & August: If you don’t have a pool, find a friend who does because that’s where you live now. In the pool.
“Fall” – Labor Day to Thanksgiving: FIND INDOOR FUN. It’s too hot to be at the park, but too cool for the pool.
So in the spirit of Florida FALL, here is my ultimate guide to the BEST places for indoor fun for your little ones.
- Children’s museums
- My TOP CHOICE: Treasure Coast! Ok, so it’s a drive, BUT you can spend the ENTIRE day there. Bring your own food, enjoy lunch overlooking the water, and expect hours upon hours of imaginative, hands-on fun! $ – Adults & children 3 and over are $8.50, children 1-2 are $4.25. WORTH IT!
- Runner’s Up: Schoolhouse Children’s Museum in Boynton Beach and Boca Raton’s Children Museum. Boynton offers a lot of fun programs and discounted prices for members. Boca takes donations for your visit.
- Storytimes – Take advantage of this FREE indoor activity that all of our local libraries offer. Check the link for specific days and times. My favorite story time classes are at the Royal Palm Beach, West Boynton, & Lantana branches. Wellington has a great space with toys for when your class ends plus TONS of boards books!
- Cool Beans – Think trampline floors + slides + playground + dress up + toddler section. What more do you need? There’s chairs around the perimeter so you can chat with a friend while the kids play. You CAN’T bring your own food, but they do have a great menu with lots of options including…COFFEE! Additionally you’ll be in a shopping plaza (Downtown at the Gardens) with tons of lunch options. $$: 2-6 year olds $10.95, 6 months – 2 year $8.95, and siblings are $6.95.
- Happy Place Kid’s Gym – From a zip line and trampoline to dress up clothes. Happy Kids Gym is a great place to spend some play time on a hot or rainy day! Located in Royal Palm, it is extremely clean and owned by the nicest people around! It’s just $10 per child and $8 per additional sibling. Children 11 months and younger are FREE with a paid sibling. Check out their Facebook page for specials and memberships are available! Don’t forget a pair of socks!
- Little Town Play – New to west Delray is this adorable play center featuring a separate toddler area, fire station, hair salon (whaaaat), diner, and plenty of Melissa & Doug toys to go around. You can bring your own food (YEAH!), but seating is limited as this isn’t the biggest space. Still plenty of fun, they have rave reviews on FB, and I HIGHLY recommend checking it out. $: Children over 6 months are $10 and siblings are $5.
- Wellington Mall has a small playground area if you’ve absolutely got to get out of the house. BONUS – pick up some Starbucks for yourself right outside of the food court. The Wellington Mall is also doing a ton at their new LIVE360 Studio! This includes farmer’s markets and workout classes for moms, kids & moms and kids together! Make sure to check out their calendar on their Facebook page.
- Palm Beach Gardens Mall “kids club” – Follow them on Facebook to see their monthly activities, and have lunch at the food court. We went to their Valentine’s Day party last year and it did NOT dissappoint. Stories, dancing, crafts, AND snacks!
- Chick-Fil-A – Lake Worth South, Royal Palm Beach, and East Boynton Beach all have playgrounds, and you know you’re craving some nuggets and a milkshake
- Science Museums
- Children’s Science Explorium located at Sugar Sands Park. Located in central Boca Raton this indoor science center has a room filled with lots of hands-on exploration options. My son, who is 4, played for TWO hours. Just give a small donation for your visit.
- The South Florida Science Center and Aquarium is great for children of all ages and adults! Their mission is to “open every mind to science!” They also have a planetarium, a mini golf course and and tons events going on! Check out their website for discounts as well as membership options that can save you even more
- Kidtuitive – Full disclosure I haven’t checked this place out yet personally. I recently saw their post on Facebook and it looks like a very unique play place. Located in Boynton Beach, visit their facility and let us know what you think
- PlayMobil Fun Park – Only $1 for an ALL DAY play pass. Seriously, ONE dollar. Endless tables with PlayMobil toys; trucks, planes, boats, construction sites, you name it! You can bring your own food but have to eat in the front of the building (away from the toys). Also I only think it’s fair to tell you that you can’t even bring coffee into the play area….you’ve been warned.
Did I miss any great indoor places to play? Drop me a note. We’d love to check it out!